AMGA Single Pitch Instructor Course
As an American Mountain Guide Association (AMGA), this course is for aspiring climbing guides. The Single Pitch Instructor, SPI, program is the quintessential course to enter guiding in the United States. Learn more about the program here.
Curriculum or Topics Covered:
- single pitch guiding and instruction
- risk management
- teaching climbing
- rope skills
- basic rescue skills
- crag etiquette and "Leave No Trace" skills
- You are a Professional Member of the AMGA.
- You have a genuine interest in rock climbing and instructing novices on single pitch crags.
- You are at least 18 years old at the time of the course.
- You have at least 12 months prior climbing experience.
- You are an active climber with traditional lead climbing experience (leader placing pro).
- You have led a minimum of 15 traditional rock climbing routes (any grade).
- You are capable of comfortably climbing 5.8 while on a top rope.